When drivetrain assemblies such as your vehicle’s differentials, gearbox and transfer case heat up under normal operation, the air inside expands and increases pressure. To vent this additional pressure, most factory differentials have a one-way valve mounted to either the assembly itself, or on a short extension tube close by. Unfortunately, when the drivetrain assembly cools down, the air inside contracts, creating a vacuum. When cooling occurs during a water crossing, these one-way valves can draw water into the system, potentially causing expensive damage. The ARB Differential Breather Kit is designed to provide a high-flow, zero back pressure, zero vacuum breather system to keep your drivetrain free of water. This is achieved with a central high-flow air filter and manifold that will allow up to four drivetrain assemblies to be vented to one central location, positioned high enough to avoid water during crossings.
The ARB Differential Breather Kit allows excess ventilation pressure to escape in your vehicle’s drivetrain assemblies such as the differentials, transmissions, and transfer cases. At times these assemblies can heat up allowing the air inside to expand which increases pressure. The ARB Differential Axle Breather Kit will allow this excess pressure to vent into the atmosphere, however when the assembly cools down, the air inside will contract and create a vacuum. Although many drivetrain assemblies are fitted with a factory breather, those breathers are designed as a one-way valve either mounted on the housing, or mounted remotely on a short tube. The flaw in this design is that driving through water will create a vacuum caused by the drivetrain being cooled, which causes the valve to shut causing air to be instantly drawn into the assembly through the seals. This will cause water to enter the drivetrain contaminating the oil and damaging your drivetrain components. The ARB Differentail Axle Breather Kit eliminates this flaw by providing a high flow, with no back pressure, zero vacuum breather system. This is achieved with a high flow filter within a central manifold that will allow up to four drivetrain assemblies to be vented in one central location anywhere that will stay above water. This kit will replace your factory breather system, and will contain enough fittings and tubing to connect to at least two drivetrain assemblies. This kit uses 8mm tubing which is larger than your typical 6mm tubing, and larger tubing is essential in 4X4 applications where off camber driving can cause oil to block smaller breather lines.
- The axle breather manifold is machined from billet aluminium and anodized, making it lightweight and resistant to the elements
- The manifold has 4 axle breather ports allowing for between 1 and 4 breather lines to be connected. It is very compact allowing it to be installed in virtually any location
- The kit comes with self tapping screws, but the manifold mounting holes are large enough to allow mounting using an M6 (1/4″) bolt or stud, which is the common size in most vehicle engine bays
- The air filter is the ARB compressor air filter, which is a splash resistant air filter with a washable high flow sintered bronze filter cartridge
8mm Polyethylene tubing is flexible, oil resistant, water resistant and heat resistant
- 8mm tubing has been selected over the standard 6mm tubing to improve the air flow and reduced the chance of oil blockages in long breather lines
The 8mm push-in fittings make the installation simple and fast